The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualification for this role, you will have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. In addition, to be a good fit for the Digital Service Technician opportunity, you will have:
- An associate's degree or equivalent training in military/trade school/industry preferred; proven electromechanical aptitude required.
- Relevant mechanical and/or electrical training and/or experience (e.g. experience as a mechanic, tech support, etc.); direct experience as a technician in the office equipment industry is ideal.
- Windows PC proficiency required; an understanding of computer platforms, general application software, and networking environments preferred.
- A military background is a plus.
- A valid driver's license and acceptable driving record.
- The ability to lift 50 pounds.
- The ability to work in a 24/7 environment, perform shift work and participate in on-call rotations.
- Ability to work effectively and cooperatively with supervisors, other team members, and with customers.
- Strong customer service skills.
- Self-motivation and initiative; a strong work ethic; dedication to meeting customers' needs and expectations.
- Effective communication skills and the ability to work effectively and cooperatively with supervisors, other team members and with customers, including clearly communicating technical information, both orally and in writing.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to effectively manage your own time and inventory, and ensure that work is completed efficiently, including scheduling work to accommodate customer's needs and end-user SLAs (service-level agreements).
The RoleOpportunity Snapshot
Reporting to the District Service Manager, you will be responsible for servicing and maintaining Canon Solutions America supported production printing products in accordance with Canon Solutions America Service and Parts Standards to achieve efficiency and a high level of customer satisfaction in a 24/7 field service environment.
You will be responsible for diagnosing routine mechanical and system failures using established procedures, and for performing basic customer network installs. Unresolved problems will be escalated in accordance with standard procedures. Additionally, you will proactively deliver ongoing maintenance and support services, ensuring your assigned customers' machines remain up and running.
Performing Your Role
You will leave your home daily, traveling directly to customers in order to support their machinery needs via the repair, maintenance and customer service you will provide. You will cover an assigned book of business and a New York territory supporting customers from the Syracuse to the Binghamton area.
You will ensure that your clients are well taken care of through both proactive visits and customer repair calls. Each morning you will drive to various customer locations within your territory, sometimes meeting the response times expected by clients experiencing problems per their SLAs (typically two or four hours), and other times arriving to perform maintenance. Whether called out or planned by you, we expect you to be at a customer's site each morning. Typically, you will meet with site managers and operational staff with whom you will build strong relationships and provide outstanding service.
More specifically, you will:
- Support printing systems equipment and customers operating their business 24/7.
- Install, maintain and repair company products and systems at customer sites, including hardware, software and networking products.
- Use diagnostic tools, service aids, and product schematics to troubleshoot and resolve equipment and system failures.
- Use the escalation process to inform Field Engineers, the Field Service Manager, Specialists and Headquarters of unresolved issues, as well as to provide suggestions to improve equipment performance.
- Manage parts inventory and territory to comply with established operating standards.
- Perform and oversee machine factory modifications and software/operating systems upgrades on equipment to ensure optimum performance.
- Establish and maintain face-to-face customer relations.
- Develop and maintain an understanding of customers' entire workflow and associated print management applications.
Pictured: The Océ family of monochrome continuous feed production printers are the ultimate in digital printing technology delivering high-quality print jobs at high speed. Yet these black and white digital presses are flexible enough to support a wide range of media and applications.
More Reasons to Join UsTeam support
While you will have plenty of training to get you started, you'll also enjoy strong support when you need it. You'll have access to and be mentored by senior technicians/engineers working in New York territories (Rochester & Syracuse). You'll never feel like you're on an island.
At Canon, we are committed to promoting from within whenever possible. You might leverage your performance in this role to pursue a higher-level Technician role within the field/digital services organization. Alternatively, you could pursue other roles within Canon, such as Regional Technician or National Technical Specialist. We also have specialized installation teams, and we're always looking for people with an aptitude for training.
Commitment to the environment and community
Canon has undertaken several initiatives to reduce the environmental impact of our operations and the products we produce. In addition to our environmental stewardship, one of Canon U.S.A.'s strongest beliefs is that we have a responsibility to contribute to the welfare of the communities that we serve. For example, one of our most prominent programs, Canon4Kids, applies Canon product expertise to help locate missing children. Whether originating from corporate headquarters, our regional locations, or our subsidiaries, Canon U.S.A. connects with and supports the community in many ways.
Innovation in technology
Innovation has been a key ingredient in Canon's success throughout our history. We are one of the most prolific inventors of consumer and professional imaging solutions. Canon Inc. has continued to invest a significant portion of net sales to R&D investment each year. Our Canon R&D divisions in Japan and throughout the world are dedicated to developing custom products and solutions for customers worldwide.
Unique corporate philosophy
We embrace diversity in the workplace through the spirit of kyosei, Canon's corporate philosophy. Kyosei means "all people, regardless of race, religion or culture, harmoniously living and working together into the future." We are committed to creating a diverse work environment where all employees are respected and supported to do their very best.
Canon Solutions America offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits, including medical, dental and vision plans that start on day one of employment; a 401(k) plan with immediate company match; profit sharing and success sharing bonus plans; paid holidays and generous vacation time; corporate discounts; tuition reimbursement and more. We also provide a laptop and smartphone. Service Technicians are also eligible for Star Achiever bonuses, based on performance.
Pictured: No matter what the print environment, all agree: No service call is the best service call. Canon DirectPress Technology improves image consistency while helping to reduce maintenance and increase reliability and system uptime. However, when service intervention is needed, our innovative service concept, along with highly trained Field Technicians, helps ensure the shortest turnaround time.
Keys to SuccessUpon joining us, you will dedicate yourself to learning in order fully understand and be able to repair our technology. Once your technical skills are up to speed and you are out in the field, it will also be important to have outstanding communication and interpersonal skills to rely upon. We are focused on long-term partnerships with our customers and you will help maintain positive relationships. As you might expect, there will be times when a customer is frustrated about an issue, so you'll need to stay level-headed and focus on solutions.
Working independently requires a strong work ethic and a good deal of self-discipline and drive. There will be resources available by phone, but the more resourceful you are at figuring things out for yourself, the more efficient you will be. At the same time, you will be part of a team and as a new member, we expect questions early on. You will bring a solid team spirit to the table so that in time you can support others as they support you.
In addition, in order to be an outstanding Digital Service Technician, you will:
- Pay close attention to the details while also understanding the big picture on any call
- Remain flexible to manage multiple activities and priorities effectively
- Combine both analytical skills and creativity in solving problems
- Be dedicated to continuous learning as you advance your knowledge with new equipment and technology
- Demonstrate a strong work ethic and commitment to service
About UsCanon Solutions America is the company created by the integration of Canon Business Solutions, Inc. with Océ. The strength of the one brand that grows out of this integration lies in the expertise of our people and a common culture that focuses on our customers. Together, we've reimagined solutions for printing, document management and business services. Today, we're looking ahead for continued success.
By cultivating a staff of expert representatives, technicians, analysts, engineers, and an administration that is dedicated to understanding the needs of our customers, we deliver on our mission with determination, professionalism, and the utmost integrity. As a subsidiary of Canon U.S.A., one of the most respected technology brands in the world, we uphold a commitment to the environment, the community, and the world at large.
From the opening of the New York office in 1955 to the further development of imaging products today, Canon U.S.A., Inc. has continued to be a leader in professional business and consumer imaging equipment and information systems. Our products include everything from cameras and EF lenses to binoculars, camcorders, digital presses, scanners and much more. Our extensive product line and digital solutions enable businesses and consumers worldwide to capture, store and distribute information.
Canon U.S.A. is committed to the highest level of customer satisfaction and loyalty, providing 100 percent U.S.-based consumer service and support for all of the products it distributes. Canon U.S.A. is dedicated to its Kyosei philosophy of social and environmental responsibility. In 2014, the Canon Americas Headquarters secured LEED® Gold certification, a recognition for the design, construction, operations and maintenance of high-performance green buildings. To keep apprised of the latest news from Canon U.S.A., sign up for the Company's RSS news feed by visiting www.usa.canon.com/rss and follow us on Twitter @CanonUSA. For media inquiries, please contact email@example.com.
Canon is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Minority/Female/Individuals with Disabilities/Protected Veterans. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. To read more about employment discrimination protections under federal law, please visit this site: http://www1.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf